Blood Donation Drive Pre-Event Write-up
Although roughly 40% of the people in Pakistan are eligible for donating blood, only 10% do so. Unfortunately, out of these only 14% of regular donors are aged 30 and below. According to a recent research conducted at Stanford University, young blood helps old muscles heal faster, slows down the process of aging and decreases risk of diseases like high blood pressure and cardiac arrests.
According to a poll conducted among NUSTians, nearly 50% have never donated blood. The time has come to change these statistics. NCSC, yet again, brings to you the opportunity to become a hero. Never having considered donating or lack of time are no longer valid reasons for shirking your civic responsibilities. It is time to give back to the community the biggest resource we can, our blood.
Given below are the important reasons for donating blood:
- It’s easy and convenient – it only takes 20 minutes so you can fit it in between classes.
- You will walk a little taller afterwards – you will feel good about yourself.
- You will be helping to ensure that blood is there when you or someone close to you may need it. Most people don’t think they’ll ever need blood, but many do.
- It’s something you can do on equal footing with the rich and famous – blood is something money can’t buy. Only something one person can give to another.
- You will be someone’s hero – One pint of blood can save up to three lives.
- It’s the right thing to do.